Saturday, August 7, 2010

Happy First Day of School, Happy Inauguration Day, & Batalla de Boyaca

Today was so much fun! Batalla de Boyaca is a national holiday in Colombia and is the day that ECA always starts school. I met all my sweet students and their families. We spent two hours in our classroom getting to know each other, singing, playing games and touring the room. My students are so cute and behaved very well today. They can't really understand what I am saying but they know how school works and did a great job. Mrs. Amado (my teacher's aide) translates most of everything and is a beautiful woman and one of my favorite friends in Colombia. I hugged and kissed them many, many times! We also made our first class book today and introduced ourselves. I went first and told them that most importantly I love Jesus, I love reading, teaching, cooking, my family and friends, and living in Bogota with the mountains everywhere I look. They used a microphone to share and thought that was the best. The parents were so friendly and welcoming. I look forward getting to know them and working with them to train up their children in the way that they should go. I am so excited about this school year!

Colombia has a new president as of today. We didn't know what to expect as far as riots or protests, but it seemed like a very peaceful day. One of the spanish teachers at ECA gave us a neat history lesson that prepared us for the upcoming inauguration last week. It went back all the way to the Spanish invasion and massacre, Simon Bolivar gaining independence, and the development of the gurriella army and paramilitary. It was very interesting and I can't wait to learn more. Colombia has had so much violence in the past and it still affects people today even though this country is changing for the better every year. Everyone has a family member that has been affected by FARC. Everyone has to deal with the poverty and crime that is still prominent. I have been so confused as to why people look so serious and tough out on the streets but are so warm and loving when you visit their home. Our Spanish teacher told us that Colombians are so proud of their country but have been born with a "no one is going to take anything from me" mentality. It put lots of things into perspective. Colombia's past president, Alvaro Uribe, did so much for this country. He fought against FARC and drug cartels and made huge progress. His successor, Juan Manuel Santos, will continue to do the same and help with the high unemployment rate. Santos studied during college in Kansas, Harvard and London. He was also the Minister of Defense during Uribe's presidency. Colombia has one of the highest populations of displaced people in the world and is still considered a third world country. It is a beautiful country full of hope and a need for peace and love. Thankful to be here.


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. i had NO idea it was your 1st day of school today! i bet you're so relieved that it's behind you and that it went so well. i love the pictures... what cutie patooties you get to teach. i wish i could see it in real life. you're a kindergarten teacher!!! woot woot! proud of you, happy for you, and totally love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Marianne! You are an amazing teacher and I know you will change those little lives (and they will change yours!) Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I must admit, I had some tiny tears in my eyes as I looked at your pictures and read your post. I can't believe we talked about this for so long and now it is here!! I am SO happy for you!! Your kids seem so precious and your classroom looks like so much fun! I love the triangle desks!! I am proud of you and super excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete